Friday, May 30, 2008

The Canvas Smasher


I've received quite a few emails in response to an earlier post asking me why I destroy most of my paintings. There are several reasons I suppose; but the most obvious is that I need to connect with a piece, if I don't, it gets smashed. As funny as it might seem, destroying the work is part of my creative process. In order to move on, I feel that I must leave the past behind--albeit, learn from it.

One regret I have, is that I wish I could recycle materials. Since I use so much paint, and have uneven surfaces, I'm unable to re-use the canvas; also I like to start fresh from a clean surface so that I don't have the previous image embedded in my mind.

Looking back, I guess there are a few I probably was too hasty in destroying, still, this will always be a part of my process that continues.

The picture above is the mallet I call the Canvas Smasher.

No comments: